How to Create a Calming Outdoor Space to Relax This Autumn
Autumn is my favorite season of the year. The kids are back in school and the evenings start to cool down. The leaves start to change, subtly at first and then one day you wake up and there's an explosion of color for your eyes to feast on. Pumpkins patches, apple orchards, and Halloween right around the corner are all great reasons to get bundled up and spend some time outside; but what about relaxing outside when you're at home?
Obviously, we aren't all blessed enough to have an amazing outdoor space like the one in this picture. I would love to have something this amazing, myself! Nonetheless, there are ways that almost every homeowner can create a relaxing outdoor space to relax this autumn.
1) Add outdoor lighting: To be specific, add a string of Edison bulbs to your pergola, deck railing, or whatever structure you have on hand. If you don't have a structure, you can buy a piece of thin metal at Lowes or Home Depot and drive one end into the ground and attach the lights at the top. Another idea is to take small white lights (like Christmas tree lights) and wind them through the trees in your back yard.
2) Add a fire pit: A lot of people have some kind of outdoor furniture already - either a table and umbrella set or a sofa set. Once the weather turns adding a fire pit can not only provide you with some much-needed heat during those chilly evenings, it also adds a heap of charm! There's nothing quite as romantic as the glow of firelight to make any evening or party more attractive.
3) Add seasonal decor: This one is a no-brainer. Adding some hay-bales, mums, and different sized pumpkins to your outdoor space provides a visually appealing backdrop. By doing this, you're enabling yourself to get outside and actually ENJOY the space that you've worked so hard to create!
4) Get rid of clutter: If you're anything like me, you spend a good amount of time trying to rid your life of clutter! I find that when an outdoor space is clean and uncluttered, it's much more inviting and I'm able to relax more readily. If I look around and there are yard toys strewn about, my mind refuses to calm down. By keeping a space neat, you're ensuring that you'll use it more and truly benefit from it!
5) Don't forget the wine: This one is pretty self-explanatory!